Michael, Milwaukee County

During the first hours of the first day, I saw that there were not enough observers to watch each election worker who was working directly with the votes. There may have been enough for the city of Milwaukee, but for outlying areas I would estimate it to have been one third or maybe even one fourth of the necessary observers. Some tables had no observers. And at some or all of the tables, there was a box full of votes in front of the first election worker at the table making it impossible to observe that person. At one table, there were boxes obscuring the first three election workers handling the ballots.  When I said something about this particular situation, one box was moved so I was able to see the third election worker, but still not the first two. At the two tables I observed directly, the election workers knew each other because they worked together in relatively small suburbs. At the first table, where only I was sitting across from three election workers, I could observe only one at a time -and again, not the one seated behind the box of ballots.  As the ballots from the first envelope were being counted, the election worker I was seated across from seemed angry. He was holding the ballots in his hand facing himself in such a way that I could not see them, and then putting them face down on the table in a forceful manner. I asked him and the election official who was standing near the table if that was how it was supposed to be done. She told him that he must turn the ballots face up so that I could see them. For a little while after this, his hands were shaking. I was planning to move to a different table to observe as the third or fourth envelope of ballots was being opened, but first I asked the election worker opening it if she "could pause for a moment because--"  Without letting me finish my sentence, she said dismissively, "No, we have too much to get done." As I brought the situation to the attention of the election worker who was walking alongside watching the tables, she told the worker who had brushed off my concern to stop, and then she had the election workers go back to the first envelope to double check a ballot I had a question about.